Along the Highway
Point Sur Lightstation State Historic Park
The lightstation (or "lighthouse") at Point Sur Lightstation State Historic Park was occupied from 1889 until 1974, and it continues to operate as an automated facility. Access to the point and the light station is by guided tour only. Refer to the schedule and arrive at the gate on Highway 1 about 30 minutes before a scheduled tour.
There is another state park nearby with "Sur" in its name, Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.
- Tour information 831.625.4419
- Related Web sites
Activities, Facilities, and Services
- Public Transit stop (seasonal)
- Scenic Vistas
- Wildlife Viewing
- Light Stations
- Coastal Access
- Guided Tours
- Information 831.625.4419
- Saturdays 10 am and 2 pm; Sundays 10 am; Additional times on weekdays and on moonlit evenings in season; Weather permitting; arrive 30 minutes in advance at the gate on Highway 1 pictured on this page [ Schedule details ]
- Entrance fee
- Length 2 to 3 hours
- Pets are prohibited, even if left in your vehicle
- Beach access, smoking, picnicking, strollers, bary carriages, large motorhomes and campers are all prohibited
- Requires a walk of 0.5 mile (0.8 km) and a climb of 360 ft (110 m)
- The tour is not disabled-accessible, though arrangements to tour the park can be made for those with special needs; call 831.667.0528 well in advance
- Private group tours are available by advance arrangement
- Historical Interest
Has this Web site, A Guide to California's Big Sur, been worth something to you as you plan a trip to Big Sur -- maybe fifty cents? a dollar? If so, you can, if you wish, contribute that amount to help defray this site's costs. Learn how.