Along the Highway
Lucia (pronounced "loo-SEE-uh") is a small cluster of businesses and services on Highway 1. Lucia Lodge offers ten rustic cabins in three different styles. Its restaurant is open for lunch and dinner. New Camaldoli Hermitage is a community of Camaldolese Benedictine monks. Its entrance road is on Highway 1 about 0.5 mile (0.8km) south of Lucia Lodge. New Camaldoli Hermitage has a visitor center and bookstore.
Activities, Facilities, and Services
- Lodging - Accommodations - Hotels - Resorts - Motels - Inns - Cabins
- Restaurants - Food
- Lucia Lodge Restaurant and Lounge 831.667.2391
- Lucia Lodge convenience store 831.667.2391
- Gift Shops and Galleries
- Lucia Lodge gift shop 831.667.2391
- Scenic Vistas
- Wildlife Viewing
- Spiritual Emphasis
- New Camaldoli Hermitage 831.667.2456
I have been asked about a place named "Point 16" in the Big Sur region. Here is what little I know:
- According to a 2004 San Francisco Chronicle article, a location in Big Sur known as "Point 16" is the private property of Congressman Sam Farr (D-Carmel).
- According to a 2004 Monterey County Weekly article, "Congressman Sam Farr's little patch, called Point 16" is "way down near the San Luis Obispo County line".
- The caption of a photograph taken in 2002 in the California Coastal Records Project identified a place it named "Point 16" in the vicinity of the Highway 1 junction with the entrance road to New Camaldoli Hermitage. That project's 2004 photo of that same area omits that identification. The 2002 photograph with its caption is still available.
- Point 16 appears to be a popular spot for weddings and wedding receptions.
Has this Web site, A Guide to California's Big Sur, been worth something to you as you plan a trip to Big Sur -- maybe fifty cents? a dollar? If so, you can, if you wish, contribute that amount to help defray this site's costs. Learn how.