Here is a checklist of steps to try if you are trying to listen to an audio stream using software installed on your computer and you cannot connect to an audio stream listed on this Allegro! Web site.
Notes: If you are trying to connect using software on your mobile device, refer to the documentation for your mobile device software. If you are trying to connect using a WiFi radio, refer to the user guide for your radio.
Computer Connection Problems Checklist
- Go to the main page on the broadcast service's Web site and look for a link there to that service's streaming audio services. These links often appear as "Listen Now" or "Listen Live" or "Listen Online". Follow that link, then look for and use a link or button on that Web page to try to listen to the same audio stream. If you are able to connect in that way, please contact me with the details, because the Allegro! Web page for that broadcast service may need to be corrected.
If the step above does not correct your problem, please do not contact me about it because I cannot help you. Here are some additional steps to try:
- Try a different audio feed from the same broadcast service. For example, if the RealAudio® format button does not work, try the MP3 format button on the same page, or vice versa.
- Try connecting "manually"; some streaming services are configured to work only in this way. In brief, you must copy the link to the stream and paste it into the appropriate spot in your streaming software. The software application must be able to play that format. Here is an example for an MP3 format link and iTunes® software in Microsoft Windows:
- On an Allegro! page for a broadcast service, or on a page on the broadcast service's own Web site, float your mouse cursor over the MP3 format button.
- Click once with the right mouse button and choose "Copy Link Location" or "Copy Shortcut" or similar (the wording depends on which Web browser software you are using).
- In iTunes, pull down the Advanced menu and choose Open Stream.
- Paste into the URL text box. You can do this by clicking once with the right mouse button and picking Paste, or by holding the keyboard's Ctrl key down and pressing the V key. You should see the URL to the stream appear in the URL box.
- Press the OK button.
- If you are connected to the Internet through a network, ask the network admininistrator whether you should be able to hear audio streams from your computer.
- The broadcast service's streams may simply be "down" or at capacity, so try connecting with the same software to a different broadcast service, either here on Allegro! or elsewhere.
- Try uninstalling and then reinstalling your streaming audio software. It may be best to download a fresh copy of the software from its supplier; see the Listen with your Computer page.
What to do if none of these steps work
If your software application does not work with the audio stream from one particular broadcast service (from WXYZ-FM, for example), but works fine with streams from other broadcast services, try contacting the staff at the broadcast service with which you are having the problem. Look for a "Contact Us" link on that broadcast service's Web site.
If your software application does not work with the audio stream from any broadcast service, look for support from the manufacturer of the software application; see the Listen with your Computer page.