Big Sur Activities, Facilities, and Services
Camping - Campgrounds in Big Sur
There are three kinds of campgrounds in the Big Sur region:
- Several of the State Parks in the region have campgrounds,
- the U.S. Forest Service operates several National Forest campgrounds, with most of these in the southern Big Sur region, and
- private parties operate several campgrounds in the Big Sur River valley area.
Campgrounds differ from each other, so be sure to consider all the options in the part of the Big Sur region where you want to stay.
There is a limited supply of campsites, so be sure to make reservations if you plan to stay at a campground where reservations can be made.
To make a camping reservation, follow the links under "Campgrounds" below to learn how to make a reservation at the campground at which you want to stay. There is no centralized reservations system for all the campgrounds in the area.
Camping areas can be found at the following locations in the Big Sur region:
- Bottchers Gap: National Forest Campground
- Andrew Molera State Park: State Park Campground
- Big Sur Campground and Cabins vicinity: Big Sur Campground and Cabins
- Riverside Campground and Cabins vicinity: Riverside Campground and Cabins
- Fernwood vicinity: Fernwood Resort
- Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park: State Park Campground
- Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park: State Park Campground
- Limekiln State Park: State Park Campground
- Kirk Creek Campground: National Forest Campground
- Nacimiento-Fergusson Road: National Forest Campgrounds
- Plaskett Creek Campground: National Forest Campground
- Gorda: Treebones Resort
- Hearst Castle® vicinity: State Park Campground