Off-the-air exercise preparation
Each step in this course will lead you through one or more off-the-air exercises (your transceiver, if any, will not be used). To be sure your copy of fldigi is ready for each off-the-air exercise, and anything left over from previous exercises is cleared out, follow the steps outlined here. If any of these steps is unclear, see the Download, install, and configure fldigi page.
- Start fldigi
- Turn your transceiver off, and disconnect any interface such as a SignaLink or RIGblaster.
- Turn Squelch on (press the SQL button at the lower right corner one or more times until its light turns green or yellow) and move the squelch control (the slider at the right edge just above the SQL button) about halfway up.
- Use "Configure|Config dialog" and then "Sound Card~Devices". (See NBEMS menus and configuration for help with the "W|X" and "Y~Z" method of describing software menus and configuration.) Set Playback to the computer's speaker. Set Capture to anything other than the computer's microphone or any other listening device. Save and Close the configuration window.
- Use "OpMode|MFSK|MFSK-32" to select the MFSK-32 OpMode.
- Tune the waterfall to 1500 Hz.
- Press the RxID and TxID buttons at upper right so both are on (with green lights).
- If there are any characters in the transmit pane, which is pale blue, right-click there and select Clear to erase the characters.
- If there are any characters in the receive pane, which is pale yellow, right-click there and select Clear to erase the characters.
Table of Contents
John Rabold KS6M